Adrienne Thatcher Thatcher 1
October 30, 2007
Work Those Butt Muscles!
The dull thud as a body connected with the mat sounded through the brightly lit, open room. Perspiration dripped from the fallen girl's face as she stared up at her karate sensei. The man was calmly telling her to stand back up and try the move again. She balked, the muscles in her back throbbed and the sweat was nearly blinding her. Since this particular form of torture, a karate lesson from Tanaka-sensei, was voluntarily inflicted, she wondered about her sanity. Her sensei noticed the girl's hesitation and decided it was time for another motivational speech on the merits of Shito-Ryu Karate. She listened intently, beyond thankful for a chance to be still and rest her burning muscles.
This is an example of a normal lesson for me at Tanaka-sensei's dojo. My Sensei, or teacher, is one of the nation's top karate instructors for a reason. He has achieved his knowledge and skills through hard work and expects others to do the same. Unfortunately for me, I have never much enjoyed strenuous exercise, I prefer a nice book and a warm blanket any day. Somehow I got signed up for karate, and I had a slightly bad attitude about it at first. That slowly changed as I myself did.
Since I hate exercise, I try to avoid it as I would the Bubonic Plague. However, I didn't want any confrontation or my parents' feelings hurt so I just accepted my fate and dealt with it. It wasn't all that horrible of a situation since I could probably use it as a way to waive high school gym. Which I believe to be worse than corporal punishment.
At first, I dreaded the weekends when I had to go to practice. My frustration was at a high around that time. I didn't want to be bossed around and in pain while others scrutinized me. I used to silently answer "Yes, Satan." in response to any command Sensei gave me. But then he told me what karate was really about. Our form of karate wasn't about buying belts to impress the world. It wasn't even about learning to defend yourself. Shito-Ryu is about focusing
Thatcher 2
your mind and body so that you can accomplish anything. When the mind and body work together, a person's potential is maximized. Karate is just the vehicle to learn this skill in.
I developed a grudging respect for Tanaka-sensei. After all, his words made a lot of sense. It mattered less and less that after a practice with him everything from the waist down felt like string cheese. I listened to what he had to say and found it entirely true. I am now able to focus more while doing homework whereas before I got distracted by almost any little thing. I think working in a gray, empty room would not have helped me focus; my thoughts would still change randomly. Not only has my ease with school work improved, but also my driving skills. I
have stopped watching the pretty flowers whiz past my window, now I focus on the road and the goal of keeping all my bones in their correct locations. Because of Tanaka-sensei I have become more effective in anything I wish to do.
Versii's Campaign
2 years ago