Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Years 2009


We are sitting in the great room drinking coffee. Side note: I am out of the usual coffee that I drink. We have a store about three blocks away called Three Bears. It is an off shoot from Costco and so you get the same stuff but broken down into smaller amounts such as one can of corn as opposed to twelve cans. At any rate they have the Kirkland brand coffee which is in the green bag or rather I should say they did for about two years until one day they stopped carrying it. I then had to go to Costco to get it which I really dislike. I mainly dislike costco based on the lack of parking otherwise once I get in there they have some pretty good deals. Back to the coffee story: this morning I realized I was out of the green bag Kirkland coffee and had to use the Seattles Brand Sumatra which is good but I have to adjust the way I grind the beans for it. I actually have a very non scientific way of deciding just the amount of beans that go in the grinder. I have to eye ball them and take a few out and put one or two back in and take one out etc until I have it just right. I make a pretty darn good cup of coffee but the point to this story is that there really was know point. Back to the great room, we drinking coffee listening to the Something's gotta give CD which has some wonderful songs on it that are peaceful and enjoyable on a slow New Years Day morning. Rainey is next to me she has had a full bottle, her diaper changed and a half a container of pears. Right now she is making lots of cooing noises and kicking her legs to the music.
We are going to have ribs for dinner today. Tom makes the best ribs. It takes forever but they turn out delicious. He pressure cooks them first and then after that he put sauce on them and grills them for a short time on the grill. In addition to that we are having mashed potatoes and gravy. I make the best mashed potatoes after visiting Janice in October. They take forever as well but that is the secret. It helps that I have the mixer that I do not have to hold for the ten minutes that it takes. I am not real big on patience and hand mixing takes way to long for me to even contemplate. Then after that we are having orange rolls. Adrienne loves the orange rolls. They are pretty good.
I suppose today is the day I take all the Christmas decorations down and put up all my Valentines. I know most of you are saying VALENTINES? but I love decorations and I like to enjoy them for as long as possible. Also you may not realize it but decorations make a home feel festive and I like festive.